Author Interview with Chris Pearce, Author of A Weaver’s Web

Interview With Holly Lynn Payne 
     Brought to you by Oh My Bookness
     October 8,2014



 
Welcome Readers,

Today I am lucky to be interviewing Holly Lynn Payne author of DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi                                         .




Holly, thank you for taking part in this interview, first off can you tell us, the readers, a little about yourself? Background? Personal and cultural?

                               Get To Know Holly Lynn Payne:

1.What are your ambitions for your writing career?
After spending more than half my life writing professionally, I've switched my thinking on this. It's not so much about ambition for me anymore, but about what value I can give to the reader. I used to consider what interested me, but how do I know my interests will be useful to others? Now I ask myself what are people needing to hear about, learn about, what do they need to heal? How can my story offer those things. That moves me most to write—on purpose.
 


2. Who is you favorite author and or writer that inspires you?
I have many, but I think the author that influenced Damascena most was Paulo Coelho. Some people have told me Damascena is the "female Alchemist." love Coelho's ability to maintain a clear and simple style while addressing complexthemes while weaving in mystical elements and magical realism in his stories.
 

3. How can the use of history help to tell your own life story?
History, as we know, is all a matter of perspective. Who's been observing these events and what filters are they viewing it through? I've never written anything autobiographical (at least not yet...I believe I have a whole lot of living to do before that), only because those filters keep changing. If I wrote a memoir now, I'm terrified that in ten years, I'd have a whole other way to view the 'her' story
in it all. Then I'd be compelled (or compulsive!) about rewriting the bookGuess that's the pragmatic Capricorn in me. I am laughing out loud.
 

4. For you what do you find the hardest thing about writing?
Finding the right readers. Making sure the words and books reach their intended audience.
 

5. How do you go about your writing process? Is it unique to yourself?
I studied film and screenwriting for a few years at USC and got involved in producing short films. That taught me so much about the value of narrative design, and ever since, I'm a total geek when it comes to structure. I really take time to listen, to see, to feel my way into a story from every angle possible so thatI can trust the plot—for the most compelling unfolding of the narrative.
 

6. For your own books do prefer hardcover books to paper or e-books or visa-versa? Why?
I love to read a good book in whatever form, but given the choice, I'm still a bit old fashioned and prefer the tactile experience of holding a book, of being away from a screen and all the EMF (electromagnetic frequency) affecting us every day. I love the quietude of holding a book wherever I want, underlining passages and sentences that move and teach me how to write better. 

 
7. Do you proof read and or edit all your own books ? Or do you have someone to do that of you? If so someone does that for you, who? Why? 

If I only relied on myself to proof and edit, my books would never get into the world. I think the greatest fallacy that a lot of writers have about publishing is that they can just upload it as is and readers will respond favorably. With anything, slowness creates silk, so I take my time, often spending almost half the time or same time writing a book as I do working with editors to revise it. I hired three editors to help me with Damascena and found about 30 test readers for more feedback. I considered every single editorial note and as a result, cut nearly 50% of the book. It was twice as long—almost 600 pages when I submitted it, but now it is a tight 348. :) As much time as it took me to get the story right, I don't regret any of that effort. It made me a better writer. Writing is rewriting, and as much as I do on my own, I would never trust myself alone to see all the glitches and gaps in my own work. Vetting and investing in a great editor is the best use of a writer's resources. It's one thing to invest in social media and marketing, but if you don't have a great book to Tweet about, who is really going to care?
 

8. What kind of issues or complications did you run into while in the editing process? How do you overcome these obstacles?

Trusting the feedback. Usually, it all resonates but occasionally, there's a standout note that makes me feel like a petulant teenager. I get defensive and a bit angryonly because I know the note is right and it's going to require me to kill some of my babies. I brace for those hours I know I will have to sit with this and rip out parts of what I thought was working—only to discover it wasn't so hard after all, and the story, thank god, is tighter, stronger and more compelling. Often I just have to get out of my own way. When I do, the outcome is usually positive.
 

9. How do you think you evolved creatively in the pursuits of writing?
I've learned to be a better editor, to write less, to reduce the amount of 'purple prose' (ouch) and to hone the narrative design. I've taken a lot of risks on subject matter and nothing is off limits now, even if it terrifies me. I love that mental challenge (and stimulation) and what I'll learn over the course of writing a book.
 

10. How much research did you do before developing and creating characters for your books(s)?  
I do a ton of research. My background is journalism. I usually spend time in the location of my story world first. My books are set in fairly exotic destinations, which is just a great excuse for me to see the world and explore new cultures. I don't do character bibles but I do a lot of free writing, just to get a sense of who they are, what matters, what terrifies them, what they want, what they don't have, who they love, who scares them, etc. This starts to form a more three-dimensional person, and then I discover more while I write.

 

11. Pt.1 of 2, what do you say are the advantages and disadvantages of self publishing? Against being published? Or being published over self published?
My first two books were published traditionally by Penguin (Dutton as the hardcover imprint and Plume, the paperback). It was the early 2000s. Things were much different then. Authors didn't have websites, if you can believe it. There was no pressure on any author for social media. No FB, Twitter, nothing. Everything shifted with the advent of these marketing technologies. When the industry started to fall apart prior to the last recession, I saw the opportunity to create a more fulfilling and empowering publishing experience by creating my own imprint in 2008. I had no idea it would transform me into a businessperson. I love the creative control and I love that there is nothing 'self' about self-publishing. There'sa great misunderstanding and gross underestimation about what it requires to publish a book and make it competitive (vs. slapping something together, by-passing editorial input and professional graphic design and uploading files just to say you're published). Creating an independent press of the highest standards offered me the most collaborate professional experience of my life, next to filmmaking. I love that the publishing industry is changing so much every day, which means now is the time to innovate. It's a golden age for writers who are also natural entrepreneurs so why not try to create a new experience?

Pt,2, are you self published or published by a publisher? Why choose this option besides the reason I can or I can't?
I am both. My first two novels came out of New York (Penguin) and my first novel, The Virgin's Knot, was a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers Book. I then founded Skywriter Books and published Damascena through it; however, I also publish other authors. We'll be publishing two more authors in 2015. We are purposely growing very slowly. Our press is about quality, not quantity and I'm not interested in flooding an overly saturated marketplace. I wait for the right people whose stories awaken, inspire or enrich, because that's what I believe the world needs now. It's not really about the book, but its value.

12. How do you market your books? Do you have any advice or tips for other authors on how to?
I'm learning new things every day. For the first time in my career, I hired a marketing assistant because I was so overwhelmed by all the social media responsibilities. I could no longer afford to hide under my desk and dwell in the womb of my writing cave. As much as I miss that life, it'll never happen again. For me, the time is now to participate in the world as a Writer—to contribute to conversations that are shaping our lives or giving us pause to change and make the world or ourselves, our relationships, our jobs, better and healthier.


13. What is your view on social media? Which best worked best for you and why?
Hmm. I'm navigating that on a daily basis. I'd say Facebook has been great so far. It's easy to use and everyone's already comfortable with it. Just recently, I've fallen out of the nest in Twitter and am finally starting to use it. I've been vigilant about contributing something of value, not adding to the noise. As a result, I've been very slow to this, a late adapter, but I've been watching, studying and learning from others for years. I guess I finally have the courage to be seen.
 

14. What recommendation would you give to new authors marketing their books online'.  Is this the best method? Are there others? Have they helped you along the way in your career?

I'd say on-line marketing is the ultimate method, which is why there's so much pressure on authors to have a 'platform.' I used to cringe when I heard that word flung around at authors in conferences. But now, I get it. I understand the value of establishing your voice through a blog, Twitter, Facebook, etc. and interacting with readers. That's the only way to grow an audience, and we need our readers!
I just did my first ever Google Author Talk on the Technology of The Heart. It was posted onto U-Tube. I couldn't believe how quickly people were finding it and I'd never had that kind of response to anything in social media. They say obscurity kills a writer, so 2014 has been my year to step out, speak up and be seen in person and online. The wild thing is that as much as this has all terrified me, I'm actually having a lot of fun and meeting some wonderful new people.

 

               A Look Into "DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi"

1. Does any part of your cultural and or personal background tie into the storyline?  

I am mostly ethnically Welsh and grew up in Amish Country, Pennsylvania. The only tie I have is my passion for Turkey and this part of the world, where I've spent a lot of time exploring. I 'met' Rumi doing research for my first novel, The Virgin's Knot, which is set in Turkey in the 1950s.


2. What is the books genre?  

Literary, historical fiction.


3. What aspects of your own experiences are in the book?

My daughter's middle name is Rose. I dedicated Damascena to her. I wrote this book during the most significant seven years of my adulthood so far—before I was engaged, during my engagement, marriage, pregnancy, and foray into motherhood. In many ways, my daughter gave birth to me as much as this book birthed a whole new chapter for me professionally, especially as the world is waking up to and celebrating the divine feminine and the wisdom of the heart.

4. Where did you grow up? Does your location often translate into the setting of your novels? 

I grew up in rural Lancaster, Pennsylvania—Amish Country, which played significantly into the setting for my third novel, Kingdom of Simplicity, which was inspired by the Amish practice of forgiveness and written in response to the drunk driver who struck me and left me unable to walk for nearly a year.

5. How did you go about developing your characters for a 'DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi'? Are they based on real people? Are the events based on real or a actual events?  

Damascena is a work for historical fiction. I spent years doing research and traveled extensively through Turkey and Bulgaria's Valley of the Rose to understand the rose distillation process. Some of the events are true based on historical events that worked well with the story. To create three dimensional, almost holographic characters, I believe you have to inhabit your story as if you are living it yourself. That's the only way I know how to 'draw' authentic characters. I have to travel deep into the story world on the page and in real life.

6. Where do your ideas come from?

Wish I knew! I'd like 24-7 access to the inspiration vault. My experience is that my ideas come from a place of deep listening, when I drop away from the chatter in my head. I think most of these ideas are forming in my heart first. Usually, I see something—an image, or hear a phrase and know it's the portal to enter a novel. I heard this line first and it became the first line of my novel: She was born beneath the shadow of a dance on the sixth day of the sixth month in the year 1256. Then I have to ask who is observing 'her' and where are we, what led to this moment, what happens next? I have a process of deep inquiry or mining for story elements that somehow deliver strands of storylines that get woven into the novel. It's always a very messy experience, and I've finally gotten used to this energy at the outset. If it's too neat and tidy, I don't trust it. The story idea has to have a sense of rawness to it, and give rise to much inquiry. If it doesn't, I don't pursue it. 


7. What was your inspiration for this story?
Two things. First, my daughter. The book is dedicated to her and her middle name is Rose. Second, I ended up at Rumi's tomb in Konya, Turkey while doing research for my first novel, The Virgin's Knot. I was fascinated to learn who Rumi was and couldn't wait to learn more. I also had learned about rose oil production when I was in Turkey and was inspired to return to the world's most famous rose production region -- the Valley of The Roses in Bulgaria. I couldn't believe that it took nearly 4 tons of rose petals to distill one kilogram of rose oil. That's a ton of roses. I was hooked and compelled to travel to collect research for the book.
 

8.  Give us insight into the main characters. What does he or she that would appeal or draw readers to them? 
The heroine is Damascena. She's an orphaned girl with an extraordinary gift for turning roses into rose oil and is mistaken as a saint for the miracles she performs. She wants nothing to do with this and only wants to find her mother. She's raised by a tyrannical monk, Ivan Balev, who is the antagonist, a deeply wounded young man who assumes the responsibility of caring for Damascenawhen she's born. Damascena escapes Ivan's abuse and meets a mysterious man, Shams of Tabriz, who mentors her and shows her how to grow roses. Later, he sends her on a journey to deliver her last vial of rose oil to his dear friend, Rumi, in Konya, Turkey. It is Rumi who initiates the girl into the transformative dance of the whirling dervishes and helps her unlock the secret of the rose. 
 

9. Tell us a little bit about the main cover for a DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi, give insight behind the inspiration for it? How did it come about?
Because this story takes place in the 13th century, I knew I could not use a photograph of a person because there were no photos then. I wanted it to be feel real and support the authenticity of the research I did. I also stayed away from a rose because I wanted something unique. I found an amazing designer who showed me about a dozen possible designs. He was holding out on the last one,which was the image for the cover. It's a Getty photo of a stone wall, carved with sacred geometry. In this case, the carvings depict flowers, stars and in some ways, the sun. It couldn't have been more perfect for the relationship between Damascena, Rumi and Shams. I needed the cover to be subtle enough to balance out the complexity of the story. If you look at it long enough, it becomes three-dimensional. I will be forever grateful to Ayo Seligman for his brilliance. 

10. Who designed the book cover? Were you involved in the creative process?
Ayo Seligman.  He was masterful. And yes, I was involved the whole time. That's what I loved most about this process; the collaboration.
 

11. Do you believe the cover plays a important role in the buying process?

Yes, but I think a lot of people are also forgiving if they open the book and are hooked immediately by the writing and the story itself. I know I bought The Art ofRacing in the Rain because of the cover. I'm a dog lover. It looked like the Golden Retriever from my childhood. The bonus? I truly loved the story. A win-win.
 


12. In what formats is your book available?  

Paperback and ebook, soon hardcover. 
 

13. How long did it take you to write DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and RumiTo get it published?

In sum, it took seven years. Half of that time, I was writing, half of the time I was revising. I ended up cutting almost 50% of the book thanks to the input of my editors. 


14. Did you have any doubts about DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi?Success, quality, not enough of followers of genre etc.)?

Yes. Of course! I think every novelist freaks out about their book at some point, maybe the whole time. It's like having a child. You don't know how the world will respond when you let it go. I trusted my heart on this one. I knew that no matter what, I was being led on deeply spiritual journey. I grew so much during the writing of this book. I became a mother. It was the most powerful transformation for me as a person and as a writer, so no matter how the book is received, I already received the greatest gift through the love I have for my daughter. 

15.  If you could change anything about DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi what would it be? Or are you happy as it is? Why?  

That I had to write 'the end.' I enjoyed writing the story so much. It took me to another world and another time. I loved getting to know Rumi and Shams and was humbled by their wisdom. The process forced me to listen deeply to my heart, to make one of the biggest decisions of my life. I was led on a mystical adventure of sorts and I loved every bit of it... which is why the book was waaaaay to long. Aggh! :) If anything, I would have edited myself a bit more at the outset so that I didn't end up spending nearly the same time writing it as I did rewriting it. But maybe that's because I didn't want to let go. I, too, fell in love with Rumi. Learning about him and having him come alive on the page was the most powerful writing experience of my life.


Last But Not Least....... 

17. What are your thoughts on good and bad reviews?  

I welcome honesty and intelligence and don't take anything personally. In the end, it's very easy to criticize. Writing a book takes inordinate courage. Respectful, intelligent reviewers know that and their work reflects their own knowledge, or even experience, first-hand, with the craft and process. 

18. Any tips on what and what not to do when it comes to writing and getting reviews?  

Be grateful. Be authentic. Allow for diving timing and trust.

 
19. Any advice would you give to a aspiring writer?

Just do it. Don't wait for anyone to give you permission. If your heart is urging you to do it, that's all you need. Develop tools to navigate the process and cultivate your patience and perseverance. I was and still am an endurance athlete. I swam my whole life and it taught me about discipline, which is directly transferable to writing. Life will get in the way. You have to make time for it. You have to shut down the internet, turn off the phones and honor the silence. That's where the magic happens—in the stillness and the place where we finally stop distracting ourselves from what our heart needs us to do.


20. What are you working on right now? Anything? If so what is it called? What is it about? When can readers look forward or reading it?  

I'm working on my first young adult book that takes places on the houseboats of Sausalito in present time. I'm very excited about it. It's refreshing to pop out of the 13th century into the 21st!

 

21.Is there anything add I did not  go Over?

No. Thank you so much for your thoughtful questions and your interest in Damascena.

 

22. How can readers discover more about you?

Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/HollyLynnPayne 




Book Purchase links
Amazon: http://tinyurl.com/lng8mvp    

Barnes & Noble: http://tinyurl.com/mjfvfqz

Goodreads: http://tinyurl.com/nwcv66





Don't forget to pick up your copy and read for yourself 
DAMASCENA: the tale of roses and Rumi by Holly Lynn Payne




Follow Oh My Bookness©
(keep up to date on book reviews, author interviews, author blog post, books to check out, free books, and more.)

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgRf4oJrnRqRPWj5l1oglHXerbPYjlAt9CxuBBzbLUa773uirTVqTKztPRYoOhoNBWT6tRLw9eKgySp7C9rXkI93XRtYtfNzkQj33TDHrENf5lVnT5Mb8N6OOZvmki9D21Rk1iK0By6pKBT/s1600/blogger-image--810946394.jpg

Twitter 
( Oh My Bookness@ohmybookness

Facebook
HTTPS://www.facebook.com/ohmybookness

Google +
https://plus.google.com/app/basic/116396686801399504580

Goodreads
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/5891236-oh-my-booknes

Pinterest
http://www.pinterest.com/OhMyBookness/

Blog
http://ohmybookness.blogspot.com

Instagram:
http://instagram.com/oh_my_bookness.book_blogger

Twitter ( Design Wondeland)- illustrator designer, graphic designer, painter, digital designer, does/ worked in social media curating)
https://mobile.twitter.com/DesignWnderLand



Published 22th, Septemberby ©
All Rights Reserved to Oh My Bookness© and The above and its Contributors.©

                         

Comments